ABS box optical Splitter (PLC Splitter) is an integrated waveguide optical power distribution device based on quartz substrate. It has the characteristics of small volume, wide working wavelength range, high reliability and good spectral uniformity, etc. It is especially suitable for connecting local and terminal devices and realizing optical signal Splitter in passive optical network (EPON, BPON, GPON, etc.). There are currently 1×N and 2×N types. The 1×N and 2×N dividers input optical signals evenly from single or double inlet to multiple outlets, or work in the opposite direction to feed multiple optical signals into single or double optical fibers.
PLC Splitter adopts semiconductor technology (lithography, corrosion, development and other technologies). The optical waveguide array is located on the upper surface of the chip. Then the input and output multi-channel fiber arrays are coupled and encapsulated at both ends of the chip.
Compared with the melting taper divider, the advantages of PLC Splitter are :
(1) loss is not sensitive to the wavelength of light, can meet the transmission needs of different wavelengths.
(2) the signal can be evenly distributed to users.
(3) compact structure, small volume, can be directly installed in the existing various handover box, do not need to leave a large space for installation.
(4) single device has many shunt channels, which can reach more than 32 channels.
(5) low multiplexing cost, the more multiplexing number, the more obvious the cost advantage.
At the same time, the main disadvantages of PLC Splitter are as follows :
(1) the device production process is complex, the technical threshold is high, the chip is monopolized by several foreign companies at present, few domestic enterprises can package production in large quantities.
(2) the cost is higher than that of the fused tapered divider, especially in the aspect of the low-channel divider.